Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Game of Thrones - Episode 2 - "The Kingsroad"

The second episode was even more enjoyable than the first. Sure, not as much happened this episode, and it was mostly spent just moving characters around, but this week we actually got to spend quality time with many of our characters. We get to see them just going through their life, and really getting to know who they are.

In these reviews/recaps I discuss possible spoilers for all the currently published books, so if you're okay with spoilers, read the rest of my thoughts after the jump.

This episode veered from the books a bit, presenting several characters differently. It's strange, none of the differences are necessarily significant, but I believe they will all influence the perception of the characters by the non-book reading audience. Specifically Cersei, Tyrion, Catelyn, and even to an extent Jaime. I'll get to that below, but first some of the scenes I really liked. I enjoyed Jon's chat with Tyrion, in their short time we get to see Jon and Tyrion form strengthen their bond of friendship. The attack on Bran was done incredibly well, and Summer tearing the throat out of the attacker and then laying next to Bran in bed as if it was the most innocent thing in the world. Arya of course was awesome, and now (more than last episode) do I see what everyone was talking about with Maisie Williams just owning the character. And we finally see some life from Daenerys as she starts to awaken from the semi-catatonic state she spent all of episode one in.

Ok, and now some random thoughts:
  • I want more direwolves! Nymeria attacking Joffrey was awesome, as was Summer defending Bran, and Lady's death was heart-breaking, but we barely saw Ghost and I don't think we've seen Grey Wind or Shaggydog at all yet.
  • What was up with the conversation between Cersei and Catelyn? I've seen people talking about whether Cersei made up the entire story to influence Cat into mercy-killing Bran, but I'm not sure. We know from the books that Cersei had been pregnant by Robert but she aborted those babies. I suppose it is possible that she did have a child by Robert that died. Notice that she specifically mentioned her first baby had dark hair - not the blonde the rest of her children have. And maybe I'm just a sucker, but I believed the tears in Cersei's eyes were genuine.
  • Tyrion instead of finishing reading a book because he spent all night reading, instead wakes up hungover in a dog pen. Is it funny? Sure, but I think it does a disservice to Tyrion. Seeing him in the library and correcting the Septon does more to show his intellectual character than the few words he later exchanged with Jon.
  • I was curious about the awkward scene between Jaime and Jon, after Jon had Needle made. Was that just added in to show Jaime being a jerk? After two episodes I feel that they are making Cersei more sympathetic and Jaime less so, when compared with the books. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive, we'll have to see where that goes.
What did everyone else think?

6 comments:

  1. First off, the opening credits to this show is awesome. Possibly the best I have seen from a show. The song has an epic feel to and the map is great. Never did I realize the Narrow Sea was so narrow. Ha! 

    The way it is looking the wolves are going to be introduced slowly and carefully. After this episode the new viewers now know the pets are extremely protective and caring of the children. Poor Sansa is now all on her own. Rightfully so! John will probably become closer to Ghost when he finally becomes all alone on the Wall. And to be honest, I was surprised about how little we learn of Greywind in the books.

    I hope Cersi was lying. To think the one scene where you genuinely feel sorrow for the character was only another manipulative evil act by a cunning bitch would be brilliant. The acting in this show has been splendid!

    The scene with Jamie and Jon was a weird one. Obliviously, you see the oath breaking Jamie reminding Jon what an lifetime means. But, it is the part when he shakes his hand and pulls him close that gets me. It is almost like Jamie has the same aggression for Jon as he does Ned. I don't know. A large amount of knowledge about the NightsWatch was said.

    All and all, I can honestly say I love the show already. Things always change from the novel to the big screen, yet this show doesn't lose the feel of books. Yes, I wish the hound was younger and more of a prick, but shit, I'm sure we all have something. Good review once again. Thanks man. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. More Wolves. They really haven't shown how each wolf has taken on traits of their owners. In turn I was disappointed by Nymeria biting Goff and Summer attacking the assassin. They seemed to come out of nowhere when they should have been near the kids at all times.

    Also, the scene where Jon talks with Eddard and says his goodbyes... did I just not read that or is that just an HBO thing... ("we'll talk about your mother when we see each other again.") Also, where is ghost here? We know ghost gets to the wall with Jon... but he's no where to be seen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole Ned/Jon talk was totally made up - but I liked it. It provides an ominous foreshadowing of 'things aren't as they seem', which is depressing, because we know that talk will never happen.

    The way HBO is portraying the wolves is a little disappointing. They take such a side role, and only appear as plot devices when something needs to happen. Maybe they'll evolve them more - specifically Ghost and Greywind - now that two of the wolves are out of the picture. Ghost on the wall is important, but he hasn't even been shown. And I really would've preferred a later scene with Arya explaining how she made Nymeria leave, then her throwing a single rock... it came off as too forced.

    Tyrion waking up hungover didn't bother me - yeah it would've been better if he was with the Maester all night, but he redeemed himself on the Kingsroad by explaining all his book reading.

    I do actually think the show is purposefully portraying Cersei as a sympathetic character to show just how manipulative she is later on. Same with Jamie - acting like a huge dick so that when he has his fall from grace, the character change will be that much more effective.

    I like how Dany did finally start really coming out of her shell, it was a complete change from episode 1 - which now that I think about it, the change happens in her pretty fast in the books too.

    Overall, I mostly like how things are shaping up, but I must admit that I liked the first episode better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - and about the opening credits - I have to agree that they're awesome. The little mechanical representations of the castles is awesome, as well as the sweeping view of the wall. I'm really, really hoping that with what they're doing, showing all the lands to the east, means we'll actually get a map of that half of the world with the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a long comment written out, but it disappeared :(

    Anyway, I hated the added scene with Cat and Cersei (unless we find later she was lying through her teeth, in which case it was brilliant) since we all know from her convo with Ned in the godswood she never had a son by Robert, she got rid of her pregnancy(s) through moon tea. That's the heartless, conniving Cersei we all know. Until, like Jamie, she has a character make-over in book3 that turns into a breakdown in book4. I also hated in the first episode that they had Cat try and keep Ned from being Hand, when in the book she encouraged him as soon as she received the letter from her sister.

    Didn't mind the scene with Jon and Jamie, it sets him up as a dick, and he is a dick all the way through to the end of Storm of Swords. Plus it gives us some insight into the NightsWatch.

    Wasn't crazy about the scene with Tyrion, but I can overlook it if they show his cunning, intelligent side as well as his self-indulgent (self-destructive?) side as the series progresses.

    I have a feeling we'll see more of the direwolves in the next episode, I think this one was more for setting up character traits.

    I believe it's doing me a disservice that I so recently re-read the series preparing more for Dance than for the HBO show. It's made me more aware of the technicalities of the show and less able to enjoy it as it's own body of work. That said, I'm still a fan and have every confidence HBO will do the series justice and the added/deleted content will all serve a purpose as it moves along!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tyrant - As Scott said, the conversation between Jon and Ned was added for the show. And as for the direwolves in the Arya and Bran scenes - Summer really did come out of nowhere to rescue Bran. Remember, Catelyn wouldn't let the wolf in the room before that, and didn't even want the window open because she hated the wolves howling. It wasn't until Summer saved Bran that she accepted them.

    @Scott - I think in the scene where they were all on the hill looking at the Wall in the distance you could see the white wolf with the horses - but I may have just mentally added that in. I'll have to double check. I definitely hope we get more wolves soon.

    I meant to talk about the opening credits, but by the end of the episode it slipped my mind. I agree that it is awesome. And the map for the second episode was different from the first - showing Vaes Dothrak instead of Pentos. I assume the map will be different for each episode to show the locations that are relevant for the upcoming show, which is really cool.

    ReplyDelete